This article will explain:
- What the error message looks like
- What does this mean?
- Steps to fix this error
Terminal disconnected from server error
Sometimes you may get an error on a terminal that looks a bit like this:
What does this mean?
This typically means that WaiterMate is unable to reach the server due to one or a combination of the following:
- The main server either a Lenovo, Fujitsu or one of your touchscreens. Is not switched on.
- ServerMate isn't running.
- You have a network connectivity issue.
- Another failure either hardware or software related.
Handy Hint: A good rule of thumb before following the rest of this guide. If only one touch screen is affected or having the above issue. Then this probably means that just that touch screen has the issue. If however all touch screens have this error. Then the issue is probably related to the server.
What to do when you have this issue
Option 1: Server not powered on:
The first thing to check would be if your server is switched on.First identify where or what your server is. (Or both). In this case if you have a standalone server it is either a Lenovo or a Fujitsu server. It will look like either of the below images:
Fujitsu server front and back:
Lenovo front and rear:
- Once identified and located look at the back of the server. Make sure the cables are in snug. You want firm and snug cables. Nothing should be loose.
- Now check the front of the device. Do you see any lights? If not then push the power button to turn the server on. Wait up to 15 minutes for things to run again on it's own. If however you find the lights already on. Then push and hold the power button down on the device for up to 1 minute. If after this time the server still doesn't power down then pull the power cable from the back of the server. Wait 30 seconds then plug it back in and try to power the server back on. If all is well then after 15 minutes OrderMate should be back online again on it's own.
Option 2: ServerMate not running:
- If you still get the connectivity error after this, then you will need a VGA monitor, Mouse and Keyboard. The monitor should have a VGA socket. It will be blue in colour and resemble something like this:
Plug this monitor into the server, followed by the mouse and keyboard.
- Once the screen loads up, check if you see the windows desktop. If you don't and you see either a blue screen with an error message or a black screen with an error message. Contact support on 1300 667 002 as there may be a fault with your server. If you see a normal looking windows desktop proceed to the next step.
- Make sure ServerMate is running. You will know this if you see an icon that looks like the below in the taskbar:
- If you see this, then ServerMate is running. In which case restart WaiterMate on the touch screens/your tablets and you should be good to go.
- If you don't see this icon check if it's hidden. If it isn't proceed to the next step.
- Start ServerMate by double clicking the icon here:
- After this wait for ServerMate to start. Then try and restart WaiterMate once started.
Option 3: No network connectivity:
If you still don't get any joy then you may have a network connectivity issue. This is especially true if ServerMate starts but the WaiterMate terminals still won't work.
- Remember the mouse, keyboard and screen we connected earlier? We are going to need this again. From here locate internet explorer and open it. It probably looks like a big blue E as per the picture below:
- Once opened see if you can use the address bar to head to a website. A good example is google.com. As below:
As per the picture above if you see a website then you probably have network connectivity. It's also prudent to check this icon in the bottom right corner:
If it looks like the above then you have network connectivity. Try surfing to other websites also to make doubly sure that the network and internet works.
- If the above works then you will need to repeat the steps on your touch screens. If they do not work then check all physical connections and try again. If it still doesn't work contact support.